Friday 20 June 2014

TFTD - 19 June 2014 - Thoughts from Today's Bible Readings

19 June 2014

Judges 21
Isaiah 43
2 John 1; 3 John 1

“FOR MY OWN SAKE”

We have another thought provoking chapter in Isaiah today.  The lessons of God’s dealings with Israel because of their unfaithfulness in the days of the prophet have their lessons for us.  Through the prophet God tells the people, “you have burdened me with your sins, you have wearied me with your iniquities” [Isaiah 43:24]

Then the next verse jumps out at us!  ”I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake and I will not remember your sins.” [Isaiah 43:25]  The people have been told “‘you are my witnesses,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I am God.  Also, henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?’” [Isaiah 43:12-13]  And so the continued existence of the people in the work of God.  Although scattered, their miraculous rebirth as a nation and ‘strong’ existence over the last 70 years is one of the main witnesses to us of God’s purpose, and that these are indeed “the last days.”

It is folly for any so-called ‘christian’ movement to call themselves God’s ‘witnesses.’  But we can be sure of this, the other ‘witness’ to the works and wisdom of God, apart from his chosen nation, is his word - and those who carefully and thoughtfully read it - discover more and more  how it comes ‘alive’ in their minds as the years pass.

We read the final 2 short letters of John, penned it is believed in his old age when false teachings were beginning to emerge, he makes points that are very appropriate to our days. His final letter is written; “To the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth “  He tells him [3 John 3-4] how “I rejoiced greatly” when I heard “you are walking in the truth,” adding, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”

God’s word unfolds his purposes before us in a way that invites our diligent reading - leading us to the real truth of what we should understand and believe - and the Lord’s mercy to sinners - and then to live and to walk with the conviction in our hearts - of that belief.   How challenging to us are Paul’s words about “the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for his sake I have suffered the loss of all things … in order than I may gain Christ.” [Philippians 3:8]  What are we doing to “gain Christ” - even if it means suffering loss?
-------
- DC


Thought for the Day

19 June 2014

"Living the truth means that everything that we do is accepted as an opportunity of serving God and it is done as unto the Lord. What a thought that is! And here we have the yardstick to apply to all our ways, for what cannot be done unto the Lord ought not to be done at all. Thus it does not matter what our circumstances are, how menial the daily tasks appear; in the diligence with which we apply ourselves to them we show the measure of our devotion to God. It is in the tensions and frustrations of the day as much as in the great things of life that God tests and develops our characters."

- Dudley Fifield
Who Then Is Willing to Consecrate His Service? (1978)

No comments:

Post a Comment